Dr Wommm's Medicine Cabinet

18 November 2005

Return Of The Grinning Fool

I know I haven't written anything for a while. There's a number of reasons for this, but it's mainly because I've been too damn busy. I'd tell you all about Lewes, but the photos on Flickr (look for the Lewes Bonfire Night group) describe the evenings events far more eloquently than I ever could. Suffice to say that if you combine the effects of large amounts of weissbier and rum with good skunk and shroom honey, then stir in the worlds best fireworks, a 30 foot exploding Charles Clark, flaming crosses, a scarily fucking huge bonfire and the complete insanity of the after-parade y're pretty much guaranteed a good time, especially when y're surrounded by a number of the best people in the world.

So that was a fantastic weekend, as it always is. But not a patch on last weekend which was a bit fucking special to say the least. A few days in the rather lovely city of Bologna (home to the gayest statue of Neptune on Earth) in the company of someone who makes me very happy...

And so, inevitably, to music. I'm pleased to report that I am once again making music with JCP, who I've played with in a number of ensembles, most notably Madam Uruks House Of Correction, Superfluid, Mantouch and Now, but it's been a while since we collaborated on something. You lucky people will soon get to witness the majestic glory of Maireya Vs Perinium in full flow. Two Men. A Really Tiny Drumkit. Synthesizers. Guitars. No Shame. Erectro Motolik Minimalisummm. A bit like Neu! only more handsome.

Star In A Jar, Morgen und Nite's latest, is (and I'm not normally one to blow my own trumpet - mainly cos it plays merry hell with my lower spine) pretty fucking hot. Seriously though, I'm really proud of this one. We've nailed the sound of The Great Neon Road Drill which came through the ceiling at Filey the night the moon exploded* We'll be on the Scaledown show on Resonance FM on December 2nd too, talking about god knows what and playing our set from the September Scaledown. Electric live sets coming soon too, more details when I'm sober enough to remember them.

As I write this I'm listening to Aavikko's magnificent albums Derek and Multi Muysic which I urge you to get yr hands on in anyway possible, along with the rest of Aavikko's back catalogue. Finnish tiki-trash at it's absolute finest, plus you can't go far wrong with a band that calls an album Derek. I defy anyone not to smile within 10 seconds of an Aavikko track starting. Particulary if it's Eye Of The Leopard, my favourite song of the moment. It's so wrong it's utterly right. From the "Hoo! Haa! Leopard!" chant intro, through the stomping casiofunk East German disco from hell main section to the moog polka ska breakdowns and the chorus which features the naffest eurovision chord sequence ever, it's a stone fucking killer. And the next time I dj, you lot are going to dance like twats to it.

More later. I can feel I have a cold coming on, so I have to go and buy cognac.

*I hope y're not looking down here in the hope of finding a sensible explanation of the above sentence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home