Dr Wommm's Medicine Cabinet

24 February 2006

Come To This, It's Going To Be Rather Good...


Those nice folks at Upset The Rhythm are putting on a night of droning wonderfulness which we're playing at...

ZAIMPH + HEATHER LEIGH MURRAY + MORGEN UND NITE
SUN 5 MAR - GREEN NOTE**, 106 Parkway, Camden,NW1 7AN
Doors 8PM - £5

ZAIMPH is the solo project of Marcia Bassett, best known for her intensely prolific work in Double Leopards and Hototogisu and various collaborations with the likes of Tom Carter. Under the ZAIMPH moniker, she has recorded and released two solo transmissions of mirage-like guitar, fried electronics and disembodied vocals. In person, Marcia's set verges on the ritualistic, as she turns the room into a swirling vortex of light and energy.

HEATHER LEIGH MURRAY has long underpinned Charalambides, Scorces and Taupis Tula with her shimmering swathes of pedalsteel wizardry and otherwordly vocal intonements. Heather is now striking out with a growing number of solo performances, which see her improvisations taken to further extremes. It's an encapsulating experience, as Heather enters a trance-like state layering her instrument and voice, until her bloodied knuckles can claw at her strings no more.

MORGEN UND NITE make spontaneous drone ectoplasms, behemoth riffs, high-end killer-hummingbird oscillations and BBC Radiophonic doom using guitar, analogue synthesis, harmonium and telepathy. They like listening to the music of Heldon and the voices of cats*, playing in the key of C sharp and observing the colours purple and green.

I'd also like to give credit to whoever took that fucking great photo of us live at Bardens that's at the top of the post, but I can't, because being in my heavily medicated state, I can't remember their name...

*Although the last cat that I listened to just said "Maow" very loudly and repeatedly but steadfastly refused to elaborate on this admittedly compelling initial argument.

**Which is a vegetarian place, so if y're looking for me before the gig I'll probably be round the back by the bins chainsmoking and eating raw steak out of a paper bag.

5 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

OMG, that's going to be a dronetastic weekend between this and the Kosmische thing!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Dr Wommm said...

Yep, it's all part of a secret plan to make London levitate through acoustic resonance. Keep it under yr hat tho ;)

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

It will be hard to keep anything under my hat when my HAT IS LEVITATING IN MID AIR WITH ALL THE WUBWUBWUB!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger The Outer Church said...

A cat has been talking to me for the last fucking half hour. I gave it some fish but will it leave me alone? No.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger The Outer Church said...

Sigh. I think I'm in love with the other half of yr band, Dr Wommm. And I don't mean Mantouch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home