Dr Wommm's Medicine Cabinet

28 March 2006

Fuck Me, I Can See

Today is the first day in fucking weeks both eyes actually work properly. No pain at all, both contact lenses in, fuck it's nice to be actually able to see the world again. It's also the first day my brain's started to work properly in a while too. 'Cos frankly, it's fucking hard to maintain any normal kind of perspective on life when y're in constant fucking pain. I can't thank the people at Moorfields enough for the care I've recieved there, not just for the treatment and operations, but for actually giving a shit about their patients, really taking the time to explain what's going on, but mainly for reassuring and looking after me, with no bullshit or false hope, during a deeply fucking frightening few weeks. Thank you so much.

So, now I'm not half blind, bleeding and crying, and can think straight again, perhaps I can have a life again? It would be nice.

7 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Blogger The Outer Church said...

That's cool, Wommm. Glad you're feeling better.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Dr Wommm said...

Cheers man, I'm back to my misanthropic best! See you Friday!!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Ah, the misanthropist mathematician we know and love! :-)

Good news, dude.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Dr Wommm said...

Thanks Boom! I shall definitely be there next week for partying :-) I'm reading a fine book at the moment, The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose, over a thousand fun filled pages that leads you by the hand all the way to the deepest depths of M-theory and Twistor Theory, and just for once, leaves all the really hardcore maths in. It's been a while since I had to get my brain round Lagrangians and Hamiltonions, let alone grappling with the evils of Minkowski 5-Space. Yum.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Oh, that sounds amazing! (Though I find the best compromise is when they put the hard maths in the appendicies, so that you can puzzle through it at your leisure, rather than interrupting the flow of the story.)

Did Penrose write a book about Symmetry or am I confusing him with someone else?

Anyway, I am just finishing up Eclipse! and then I move on to Simon Singh's Big Bang.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Dr Wommm said...

I'm not sure if Penrose has written a book on symemetry, cos apart from his brilliant books on possible links between quantum non-locality and conciousness, The Emperor's New Brain and Shadows Of The Mind, I've mainly waded through fuckloads of his brain wrenching papers on relativity. Given that he was one of the two people who, independently of each other, devised the tribar, or Penrose Triangle I wouldn't be surprised in the least though.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Ah, I was confused. I read The Emporer's New Brain and shortly afterwards read a book about symmetry which had a chapter Penrose Tiling, and had conflated the two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home