Dr Wommm's Medicine Cabinet

10 January 2006

Look At The Size Of Those Books

Yesterday, I finally managed to get a copy of Hunter S. Thompson and Ralph Steadmans "The Curse Of Lono" which in addition to containing some of the good Doctors most cruelly unhinged and surreal ranting, is graced by some of the most fantastically nasty and grotesquely beautiful Steadman cartoons I've seen. I'd been after a copy for years, but until those nice people at Taschen reipublished it, it's always been wildy expensive. So a very large thank you to them for making this monumental (it's about the size of a small gravestone) tome available again.

If they could see their way clear to republishing the most utterly bonkers book (like Lono, also the size of something quite large indeed) I've ever clapped eyes on, Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini, I'd be eternally grateful, because the cheapest edition I've found was about $270... An Italian designer and architect, he created this masterpiece of psychedelic insanity during the late 70s, 300-odd pages of extremely surreal coloured pencil drawings, with commentaries on the diagrams in an undecipherable alien language, the pages numbered in the same writing system, seemingly in base 22. Why, I have no idea. It's just an utterly beautiful and deeply strange piece of work. As I hope you'll agree after enjoying a few entries from this encylopedia for a parallel dimension...









1 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger The Outer Church said...

Are you familiar with the work of Paul Laffoly?

His work is stupifying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home