Dr Wommm's Medicine Cabinet

15 May 2006

Music Hides The Screams

Jeebus*, my jaw hurts like a fucking bastard. The nice people at the teeth factory shot me full of morphine, which was nice, and actually worked for a while. Then it wore off. Not nice. Even the fucking 60mg DHC tablets my doctor prescribed barely take the fucking edge off of the feeling that some cunt is ramming a screwdriver into the joint of my jaw. They do however turn me into some kind of narcoleptic, which means my neighbours are spared, for a couple of hours anyway, the really loud swearing that happens each time the dull background throb spikes into a seriously viscious stab of agony, which happens 2 or 3 times an hour and makes white light flash behind my eyes. Serious pain calls for serious fucking music. I can't be arsed with anything soothing when I feel like this, it just amplifies the unpleasantness. What doesn't tho, is some nice skullscraping sonic violence, music so dense and all-conquering that the brain gets overwhelmed with massive clusters of soundfuck that the immersive state of subconcious concentration one finds oneself in tells the background pain processing centre to shut the fuck down so the rest of the brain can dig this really fucking cool noise. Plus, when the pain crescendo returns, no one can hear the torrent of unbelievably foul language which will inevitably occur. So I've been mainly listening to this little lot over the past few days:

Ramleh - Soundcheck Changeling (Broken Flag)
Last Exit - Cassette Recordings (Enemy)
Earth - 2 (Sub Pop)
The Ruby Kennel Club - s/t (Freek)
Aufgehoben No Process - The Violence Of Appropriation (Junior Meat)
Skullflower - Infintyland (HeadDirt)
Terminal Cheesecake - V.C.L. (Wiija)
Consumer Electronics w/ Merzbow - Horn Of The Goat (Freek)
Mirag - Black Temple Carved In Smoke (Battlecruiser)
Alan Silva's Celestrial Communication Orchestra (Actuel)
Rake - Art Enemble Of (VHF)
Buried At Sea - Migration (Original Sound Recordings)
Ramleh - Be Careful What You Wish For (SFTRI)
YoungsBower - Site/Realm (VHF)
Headbutt - Tiddles (Dirter)
Albert Ayler - Live At Greenwich Village(Impulse!)
Total - Solid Objects Cast At Goblins (VHF)
Marzette Watts & Co. (ESP)
Oxbow - The Balls In The Great Meat Grinder Collection (Pathological)
Revenge - Victory Intolerance Mastery (Osmose)

*(C)2006 Mistress La Spilffe

6 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said...

Poor you. You might want to try Bach too. When I'm in some retarded physical pain I find he leads me in musical twists and turns and rivulets that are really, really distracting because they're so unpredictable and yet totally, uhm, rational? No, I need a better word. Perfect, maybe.

Also, I was infected with the "Jeebus" by Homer Simpson (just like the "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand" and "Wheeeeeee!")

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said...

Oh, and nitrous oxide might help too.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Dr Wommm said...

Aah, the wisdom of Homer... Nitrous is a fucking good idea too, I'm off to the catering supplies shop right now.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I hear the rattling of a whipped cream dispenser...the inflating of a balloon...the - arghhhh - Pavlovian response - glimpse of INFINITY - etc (falls over)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said...

Gosh, now I want some.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great description... i always thought this music (ramleh etc.) actually does have a pain-reducing effect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home